Lovingly Posted by Melissa Monday, November 23, 2009
We decided to tackle the last two windows this weekend. We started out on Saturday with our go-getter attitude and the feeling that we'd have this all banged out in a few short hours. It didn't take long for that idea to go out the window (pardon the pun). As soon as the old window was removed we saw that the footer for the window was significantly more rotten than the ones we had seen on the previous two. No big deal, we had replaced these before. But looking a little closer we found a good deal more rot than we had anticipated. The studs, the footer, everything was crumbling. We dug and dug to try to find the end to the rotten wood and once we got there we realized we were getting into much more than a three-hour window project.
The studs would have to go. One was a regular 2x4 but the other (pictured above) was a 4x4 - all rough-cut wood so those dimensions are solid. We had no way to get those suckers out as they spanned all the way up to the roof line. So we made a trip to the local hardware store. We were going to need some wood to replace the rotten framing and a new toy; Kyle seemed really disappointed that we had to buy a reciprocating saw so we could get the studs out (read: this sentence seriously weighed with sarcasm). All in all we only spent $150 on a decent Sawzall and the lumber so we were pretty pleased with that. We got home and set straight to work.