We decided, now that the Thanksgiving craziness is over, we would get back to work on our guest bedroom. When we left it we had put in two new windows, installed new (non-rotten) studs in the walls, and foam board insulation. Kyle had spent some time during his vacation to put up a few lengths of the fiberglass insulation but there were still spots that needed to be finished up.
So, Saturday we finished putting up the kraft-faced fiberglass insulation, filling small spots that we missed initially with the canned spray-foam first before covering it forever (fingers crossed). Before moving forward Kyle ran a length of electrical wire through the wall to the hall closet from the exposed outlet so we could install a light in there. Hopefully soon we will be converting this akward hall closet into a closet for the bedroom (which currently has nothing for storage space, minus the one dresser that we happily transplanted in there from the living room).
Before I bother taping and mudding the drywall seams and screws we'll probably cut into the wall going into the hall closet. More than likely this project is going to require some major demolition as well, resulting in the installation of yet more drywall. But I see an end in sight. I'm hoping that with just one more weekend (ok, maybe two) we'll be able to start priming and painting the walls again.
We'll install a new, white-trimmed, ceiling light to replace the ugly, brown one and then I hope to use some wood caulk to fill the gaps between the floor boards. I've done some reading and it sounds like caulk will expand and contract with our boards unlike wood filler. The previous owners had actually filled some of the gaps with plaster but due to expansion of the boards all of it has cracked and we've removed the majority of it as it looks worse than the gaps themselves. It is just frustrating how much dirt, hair, kitty litter, whatever gets down in these gaps and it looks terrible. Not to mention that if something is spilled on the floor it just seeps in between the boards.
So I'm sure we'll be making a run to the hardware store later this week to grab some supplies for the final push to get this room finished.
On another note, we got eighteen eggs this weekend! So almost all of our girls have started laying!